Feeding America network of food banks will mobilize this month to help bring an end to hunger and at a time when hunger feeding America is impacting more of our neighbors in every corner of the country.
Hunger Action Month is designed to inspire people to take action and raise awareness of the fact that millions of people in America are facing hunger.
September marks the thirteenth year Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization with a nationwide network of 200 food banks and 60,000 partner food pantries and meal programs, has organized the annual call to action to bring attention to the reality of food insecurity.
This year’s campaign comes at a critical time when the COVID-19 pandemic has hurt millions of people living paycheck to paycheck. Due to staggering unemployment rates, Feeding America estimates an additional 17 million people could be food insecure in 2020 as a result of this crisis, bringing the total up to 54 million people.
The pandemic has thrust more of our neighbors into food insecurity
“We need your help now more than ever,” said Claire Babineaux-Fontenot, CEO of Feeding America. “Hunger in this country existed long before COVID-19, but the pandemic has thrust more and more of our neighbors into food insecurity, and food banks are responding to a sustained, increased demand.
With support of the community, together we can end hunger one helping at a time.”
During the month of September, people across the country can get involved in the movement to end hunger by:
- Volunteering at their local food bank
- Donating to their local food bank or Feeding America’s COVID-19 Response Fund
- Contacting elected officials to protect and increase the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps, which is the first line of defense against hunger
- Pledging to vote to feed America this November
- Wearing orange and lighting city landmarks orange for Hunger Action Day, Sept. 10
- Joining the conversation by posting photos or stories to social media with #HungerActionMonth and @FeedingAmerica
To learn more about ways you can take action this September, please visit HungerActionMonth.org.
Zuani Villarreal at email@example.com or 312.641.6532
About Feeding America
Feeding America® is the largest hunger-relief organization in the United States. Through a network of 200 food banks ,60,000 food pantries .
we provide meals to more than 40 million people each year.
therefore Feeding America also supports programs that prevent food waste and improve food security among the people we serve; educates the public about the problem of hunger; and advocates for legislation that protects people from going hungry. Visit www.feedingamerica.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
SOURCE Feeding America
- How overfishing can stop, for conservation and food security
- Feeding America seeks brand partnerships