In a powerful move, the New York Education Department has offered free meals to any person who needs them. The food is available at various locations across the five boroughs between 7.30am and 1.30pm Monday to Friday.
Governor of New York State, Andrew Cuomo, has been praised for his handling of Coronavirus amongst the turmoil occurring in the US and this latest move by the city of New York is another bold move to help secure residents against food insecurity during the pandemic.
During lockdown, food insecurity is becoming a growing problem. In the UK, the latest Food Foundation estimates suggest 5 million families with children have faced food insecurity since lockdown began, which is double the figure reported by the FSA. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio recently expressed concern that two million New York City residents could be facing food insecurity, adding to the health risks that people face under Covid-19.
In this latest initiative, 400 meal hubs, predominantly at schools across the city from Manhattan to Staten Island, will be serving breakfast and lunch to anyone who needs it. No ID or registration is required and attendees can take meals for family and children. They promise that nobody will be turned away and also offer vegetarian and kosher meals.
Creating such a broad policy for the public good in a time of crisis shows remarkable resourcefulness and action from the Education Department and Mayor which could be
Full details can be found on the New York City Department of Education website.
- Meals can be picked up at all Meal Hubs 7:30 am to 1:30 pm, Monday through Friday
- Meals Hubs will operate for children and families from 7:30 am to 11:30 am, and for adults from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm
- No one will be turned away at any time
- All adults and children can pick up multiple meals at one time
- Vegetarian and halal options available at all sites
- No dining space is available, so meals must be eaten off premises
- Parents and guardians may pick up meals for their children
- No registration or ID required